Friday, April 4, 2008

Chapter 9



The Fyre Chronicles

Chapter 9

When I opened my eyes I was cold and stiff all over. It was still night apparently. Santuric was sitting at the other chair with the blanket around him, fast asleep. I was still worn and tired, but I couldn’t fall asleep again now that I was awake. The sound of crickets outside mixed with the still sound of Santuric’s breathing. I sat and listened for a while, thinking over the things that had happened. Even with this explanation it still took some getting used to. And still there was something that was not quite clear to me. He explained why someone was chosen, but not why it was me. Why was I cho…?

My line of thought was broken when I heard a twig snap outside. Santuric was still asleep. On any other day he would probably have been awake now, but he was probably very weary. I slowly untangled myself from the blanket and walked silently to the old door to peek out. It was dark outside only lit by a full moon. I could see the shadowy outlines of the three lonely trees in front of the hut and the narrow gravel road snaking off in the distance. I looked around but saw nothing unusual. Then I heard a noise out of my field of vision. It sounded like a flame blazing for a swift second, and when I looked in the direction the noise had come from. For a short moment I saw a glint of light followed by darkness.



This got my adrenaline running. I looked back inside, Santuric was still asleep. Should I go wake him? No, he’d need that sleep probably. I turned towards where the light had come from again. Staying low and quiet, I sneaked towards the place. The crickets were the only sound now. I got close enough to see the place it had come from in the moonlight. No one was there. Only a blackened spot remained on the ground.

I looked around. If anyone had been there, I would have seen them move away. I approached the spot. The grass had been singed and an odd smell of smoke was in the air. Confused, I looked around. Still, there was no one there. Who could have been here? Not someone hostile, hopefully. I rose and walked back to the hut. Wrapping myself in the blanket, I got ready to sleep again. It was a mystery for another time; I had to rest for training tomorrow.

_____

Original post: http://www.fyreball.com/d/Avc-K6

Here's the weeks chapter.

A bit short I know, I didn't have a terrible lot of time. And for the reference, canceling this was an APRIL FOOLS! Can't believe so many fell for it. I'd only stop writing if no one wanted to read it anymore.

Enjoy

- Ting

No comments: